Homeschool Curriculum Reviews, Tips, Helps and Parenting Advice

  • Let me apologize for not really writing anything the last Continue reading School Week of October 20, 2014

Friday, February 6, 2009

Levites Numbered

OK so there is a census of the Levites and they total 22,000. That is a lot of people! Then God says to break down the clans and gives them specific duties. The Kiathites get to care for The Most Holy: everything in it. The Gershonites carry the burdens: all the covering to the Tent of Meeting. The Meraris carry the frames, crossbars etc.

Once again we see God take the Levites in place of the of the first born Israelites. This to me says more of how those who belong to God are drawn closer to Him through the service we do for Him. Now the Levites are the direct descendants of Jacob and Leah. The whole tribe is to serve God and care for the Hebrews' worship center. They are to maintain the Tabernacle and they are supported for their work through tithes and offerings.

This is basically how I see this story play out...Israel gives God the Levites. God gives the Levites to the son of Aaron to assist in the priestly duties and the priesthood is a gift from God to the Israel people because this now allows them to have some sort of access to God through them.

Oh, by the way, did you notice that it was always the age of 20+ for the military service but for service in the Tabernacle it was the age 30+? Maturity is an essential element when it comes to spiritual leadership. Not to say that a 20 year old can not have some sort of leadership. I have seen many college kids in my church be better leaders then their parents. But in general, I think the maturity that comes a bit later in life helps us to understand Gods word much better. I can see this clearly in my own life. As I read this I looked back to my 20's and my spiritual walk then. OMGosh...talk about NIGHT and DAY! God just clearly asks us or maybe you could say He claims our service to Him. Why? So we can bless others. So we can tell others of His loving kindnesses and forgiving nature. So that we can show our obedience.

No comments: