Homeschool Curriculum Reviews, Tips, Helps and Parenting Advice

  • Let me apologize for not really writing anything the last Continue reading School Week of October 20, 2014

Friday, May 29, 2009

Meaninglessness of Human Pursuits

OK, in my last post I stated that Solomon was being cynical. Yea! H e is reflecting on his life and realizing that life really is meaningless. That all the wisdom and wealth in the world is meaningless without God. Our ultimate goal is to not try so hard to fulfill our every desire because "all things done under the sun are meaningless and a chasing in the wind."

I like how he talks about the meaningless of materialism. Living hear in Orange County California, materialism is probably one of the highest in the nation. Most of the people who live here are very well off or just trying to look that way. They have their flat screen TVs, extra large SUV, 3000 square foot homes with pools, beautiful brand new furniture up the ying yang, kids in every class under the sun and shopping at Nordstroms etc. And guess what they are doing while trying to keep up with the Jones? Going bankrupt! I bring this up here because Solomon make such a great case against all of that. I have lived my life like Solomon describes, somewhat meagerly not getting all the new and best things, and from time to time, I get jealous of some of my friends. I want all that cool stuff and beautiful yards and awsome things in my house. But after reading this, I realize more then ever that Solomon is right...It is all meaningless and a chasing in the wind.

He also mentions the fact that we need each other. Here is another thing that bothers me about our country or even world right now that I myself have gotten caught up in. The fact that we no longer are dealing with people. We send emails and text etc. Yes, I admit, I am a bit of a loaner, but I also love to have my friends around. Solomon warns us that if a man falls down and he is alone it is hard for him to get up. But if he has a friend or a partner or as he calls it a brother then we can just get up. We need each other and we need to get off the computer and make that call instead of email.

Look Our hearts are always yearning for something. We try to fill it with TV, cars, email etc, but the only thing that can fill those empty spaces and voids is God. The sooner we learn this and live it the sooner our desire for all that stuff will start to die down!

Great read and a real hit home for me.

No comments: