Homeschool Curriculum Reviews, Tips, Helps and Parenting Advice

  • Let me apologize for not really writing anything the last Continue reading School Week of October 20, 2014

Friday, January 23, 2009

First 5 Plagues

Here we now start the plagues today we are dealing with the first five.
1. Staff into snake
2. Nile into blood
3. Plague the country with frogs
4. Turn dust into gnats
5. Swarms of flies

Now I can understand how it would be hard to believe these things. But even harder for the Pharaoh to believe when the Israelites did not believe or trust in God to deliver them. And the fact that the Pharaoh's magicians duplicated some of the plagues. The circumstances in which these people were in was just so hard that they just could not see the light at the end of the tunnel. Even Moses hesitates and complains about his lack of eloquent speech to God once again. I know for myself I have been there many times in my life. As a matter of fact I have been there for past several months, as of lately. But you know what is different about this time compared to some of the other horrific things that have happened to me in the past? The fact that this time I did not rely on myself. This time I looked at the situation and asked God what He was trying to help me to learn from it. This time, I was calm (most of the time) through my situation. This time I kept my eyes on the Lord and knew, not just in my head, but in my heart that He was there and He would delivery my family and me out of this bondaged that we are currently in. And you know what, He is rising my family and me out of the sinking sand!

When I read the text "I did not make Myself known" I wondered what that meant. After thinking about it for a while and doing a bit of research, I think God was saying that even though Abraham and those knew God they did not really know His character. His true character was revealed through the acts of power by which God intervened to free Israel from Egypt. He even mention that he will outstretch His arms. Again this is a way of Him showing His ability to act all powerful here in our physical world vs. his supernatural world.

Now I have to say I was really set back by the fact that the first three plagues were duplicated by the Pharaoh's magicians. So I figure it's like magic. If a magician today can make the statue of Liberty disappear, then why can't the Pharaoh's magicians duplicate a few of the plagues. But what about getting a bunch of Frogs to come on command. The other possibility is the fact that they were powered by demons. We see that through out the Bible. But I think the plagues get to hard for those demons to duplicate and they realize how powerful God really is. So they decide to back down and let God take control!

Look, God does not forget His commitment to any of us. He always remembers what He has promised. He tells us He will never allow us to have any more then He knows we can handle. Notice the word He knows, not I know, but HE! It never fails. When I think I have had enough and can not handle anymore He is there to rescue me. He is there to rescue you too and free you from your bondage. What bondage are you in right now? Today sit down and look at all the things that have us bound. TV, Food, Money, power, fame, prestige etc. And make it your goal to give them each up to God and have him deliver us from those things. I am going to start my list now.

No comments: