Homeschool Curriculum Reviews, Tips, Helps and Parenting Advice

  • Let me apologize for not really writing anything the last Continue reading School Week of October 20, 2014

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Joseph's Early Years

I look at Joseph and I am amazed that he never figured out that his brothers hated him so much or that they were plotting to murder him. I mean there was an obvious favoritism between Jacob (his father) and himself. Plus the prophetic revelation from God in the form of dreams he told his brother. Their reaction should have sparked some sort of awareness about their hatred towards him. Jealousy can sure stimulate so many evil things in us. Even murder or the sale of a sibling. Joseph's silence as his brothers debate his fate in Genesis 37: 12-35 goes hand in hand with the silence of Christ before the Judges. Don't you think?

I like how Ruben tried to save Joseph. I understand why he may not have been a bit more vocal. He was probably scared. I mean if they are all willing to murder one brother why not two?! I do wish that he would have gone back to his father Jacob and told him about the evil plan of his brothers. However, he later showed just how much he cared for his brother by tearing his clothes as his father did.

It seems there is once again this running evilness that runs through this lineage. We now have Er who is killed by God because he is evil (it is not stated why) as well as Onan who refuses to be a servant by fathering a son in his brothers name. I realize that back then that would be a huge sacrifice, but the selfishness of Onan is later rewarded with death (I say with sarcasm).

Then Judah makes some miserable choices. He fails to keep his word to Tamar and give her his youngest son to father a child for Er. Unfortunately she won't hear of this and tricks him into having sex with her under the disguise of a prostitute. Now, why is a man of God seeking out a prostitute? I know his wife is dead, but please come on!

The most important thing about this story I think comes about a bit later on in time. The descendants of Judah (through Perez, Tamar's son through Judah) will become God's messenger to all mankind-the Messiah. And with that we learn that it is better to suffer innocently (Joseph, Christ etc) then as a consequence of wrong and foolish choices (Omar, Judah etc).

No comments: