Homeschool Curriculum Reviews, Tips, Helps and Parenting Advice

  • Let me apologize for not really writing anything the last Continue reading School Week of October 20, 2014

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Jacob Leaves Laban

Jacob I think finally realizes that he needs to go, but not without a dispute. You see Laban does not like the idea that Jacob has become so wealthy since he started working for him, however I think Laban fails to remember that he has lied to Jacob over and over again. God was with Jacob and no matter what Laban's demands were with the livestock, Jacob always came out ahead. Laban did not like that. This is so very close to the jealousy we all have towards one-another. I don't think anyone wants to see another person completely fall on their face, but we all want to be better then the next and dislike it when we are less. I like the fact that Laban realizes in the end that not only is Jacob blessed by God, but he needs to just let go.

Later on Jacob wrestles with God all night long. This I find very interesting. I think this metaphor is very symbolic of our own lives. We all have a lapse in our moral character. We all lie and use some sort of trickery for some sort of gain. I think this wrestling is a symbol of what we all should be doing within ourselves when we act upon this sinful nature of lies. We should have a hard time sleeping and wrestle with the Lord until we ask for complete forgiveness. We may not actually see God face to face right now, but our conscience of what we know to be right and wrong along with the word of God, should be enough.

I try desperately to teach my children to be happy for other peoples fortunes and to help or pray for those who are in miss-fortune. I know there is a lot more behind this Jacob and Laban thing, but the jealousy really stood out to me.

No comments: