Homeschool Curriculum Reviews, Tips, Helps and Parenting Advice

  • Let me apologize for not really writing anything the last Continue reading School Week of October 20, 2014

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Moses born and Exiled

Here we have a change of scene. We go a few hundred years after Joseph dies and start to learn about the birth, rise, exile and power of Moses and the bondage of the Israelites. I find it very interesting that these midwives decided to save all the baby boys when Pharaoh instructed them to kill all baby boys. That was a huge risk on their part. But with their faith in God they prevailed. Just imagine what would have become of the Israelites if these ladies did not trust in God. With the Israelites in bondage and the slaughtering of baby boys, now the Pharaoh takes in and Israelite as his own son. I still wonder why he would take in an Israelites baby into his household and raise him to be his own. I know it was all God ordained. But I wonder if he would have known that Moses would kill and Egyptian and go back to his God, would he have still taken the risk?

I feel sorry for the Pharaoh. He was himself in bondage to the things of the world. He was in bandage to power, possessions etc. Just like us. What are you in bondage to?

I am going to skip forward a bit past the talk of how the Israelites got into bondage and more closely about Moses on Mt. Sinai.

Moses was given a chance to see God face to face through the burning bush. When God calls Moses Moses, he answered Yes, it is me. Wow, I think I would have gone screaming away from there. I wish God would still talk to us like he use to. I know he does in a different way, but it sure would be nice to see him face to burning bush once in a while. When God gives Moses the instructions to go to the Pharaoh and set the Israelite free, what is his answer? I can't. You know Moses' I can't is as foolish as all the I cant's we give out on a daily basis. Just think about how many times you said to yourself I can't just today!

God said He would help him speak, but still Moses is fearful of making a mistake or a fool out of himself. I do this all the time. God says go and I say I can't. God says yes you can and I say I can't. With God's help we can do anything. We just have to trust. It's like homeschooling. I am fearful that I will forget to teach something or someone will decide to make trouble for me or whatever. I worry about these things. Who am I putting my trust in when I worry about it? ME! But the times I put my faith in God and not myself I find a peace in my heart.

I think if we all take a look at the beginning of Moses' adulthood here out of Egypt we can really see how God's truth prevails. How God comes through no matter what. And how to rely on God's truth! How many times today or yesterday did you rely on your own strength instead of God's?

God concedes to Moses and allows his brother Aaron to help him even after Moses makes God angry, but making sure that Moses knows that he is the man in charge. Isn't it wonderful that when we provoke God to anger at us that He does not strike out like we would in our angry fits, but provides grace so that we will eventually obey His will.

No comments: